Create a Research Log Entry to answer the following questions:
1. What is the main subject of your question? How the US contributes to global warming. (emphasizing in CA)
2. What subject guide or guides did you use to identify the relevant databases for your question? Geography and Environmantal Studies.
For each database you chose:
1. Which database did you choose for your search? LexisNexis
2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search? "US contributes to global warming"
a. NOTE: You may find that you need to alter your terms as you move from database to database.
3. How many results did you retrieve? I retrieved 1000 results
4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results? Yes there were more than 1oo, so I searched "california" whithin my results to narrow them down and I got 101 results!
5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful? I determined they were meaningful by CARDIO and authority. I also looked at the articles dates of publication.
6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article). I chose the article "Supreme Court in landmark emissions ruling; Could spur new US legislation on global warming mandates"
Bibliographic Information:
a) Author, if given: Gerald Karey
b) Title: Supreme Court in landmark emissions ruling; Could spur new US legislation on global warming mandates
c) Edition, if given: volume 85
d) Place of publication: not given
e) Publisher: McGraw Hill
f) Date of publication: April 3, 2007
7. How did you determine these articles were meaningful? Again, I determined they were meaningful by CARDIO and authority. I also looked at the articles dates of publication and how relevant it was to answer my question.
For each database you chose:
1. Which database did you choose for your search? Proquest Newspaper (since I did not use it last week)
2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search? US contributes to global warming
a. NOTE: You may find that you need to alter your terms as you move from database to database.
3. How many results did you retrieve? 267
4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results? Yes there were more than 100 results so i refined my search by checking full text documents only AND california so I then got 22 results.
5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful? Again, I determined they were meaningful by CARDIO and authority. I also looked at the articles dates of publication.
6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article). I chose the article
Big Oil divided over initiative / California's move on global warming has created a rift; [3 STAR , 0 Edition]
Bibliographic Information:
a) Author, if given: Marc Lifsher
b) Title:
Big Oil divided over initiative / California's move on global warming has created a rift; [3 STAR , 0 Edition]
c) Edition, if given: not given
d) Place of publication: Houston, Tex
e) Publisher: Houston Chronicle
f) Date of publication: Mar 21, 2006
7. How did you determine these articles were meaningful? Because it gave strong authority and answered my question. It also gave a recent date and showed CARDIO.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You did a good job with these. Keep in mind, however, that both of these databases are considered general databases. Often, general databases will be listed on subject pages, in addition to subject-specific ones.
ReplyDelete